Saturday, January 2, 2010

Between a rock and a hard place

Aron Ralston

I picked this up at the used bookstore a little while back. I remember the basic story from several years ago, and I thought it would be a good read. Aron Ralston, hiking alone in a canyon, fell and was then trapped by a boulder. He was trapped with very little food and water. This is the story of how he got there, how he survived, and how he got out.

It was a good read . . . but a very long one. I am impressed at the detail that he can recall from his ordeal. Everything. Some of it is minute to minute, and so detailed - I don't remember anything that well! I'll be honest. There are parts of the book that drag on. I'm sure it would be interesting for some, but he goes off on tangents about other climbs, going in to detail about his adventures and certain aspects of mountain climbing, skiing and canyoneering. It was interesting, but a little over my head, and not what I was reading for. These anecdotes were popped in the middle of the main story - which is what I wanted to read about, not have it constantly interrupted. Maybe now that I know the story, I will go back and read about his other adventures.

If you like adventure, if you like a good survival story, then I do recommend this book. Be on the edge of your seat. Be inspired. And have a tissue handy! I don't often cry when reading - or even when watching sappy movies - but there were a few times in this book when it just pulled me.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment