Thursday, August 27, 2009

What I need. . .

I "moved in" in mid-June. Sounds funny, since I've been living in this house for a little over a year now.

Long story short, I (and my kids) moved in with my parents when I got out of the Navy. Then the economy tanked. Suck. A little after the first of the year, they started looking for a new place. For them. They were semi-looking before we moved in, but then stopped. But really, it was a buyer's market out there. They found their house. . . and moved in mid-June. Really, it's perfect for them. And so, ten months after arriving (with only a carload of stuff, since we only planned to stay a month or two) we finally got our stuff. Seriously, people, I mean everything. It was August. I was planning to stay here for two months. . . I hardly even brought any clothes. I didn't use my own sheets, towels, or kitchen stuff for ten months.

So anyway. The move-in was in June. I think I'm about done moving in. . . We just won't talk about my bedroom, okay? Thanks. Our previous house was in military housing in San Diego. It was a 3-story, three bedroom house. So the house had a lot of space, and a lot of storage. I used it. The condo we're in now is 2 bedroom, 2 bath. It was hard, at first, to fit everything in. The boys' room looks okay, but it is squished. Bunk beds will be needed when Z grows out of his toddler bed. Part of the reason for the squish-ness is the amount of closet space in there. It just doesn't allow for as much furniture. . . I am mostly happy with the living room. I don't have a very good TV stand, though. I can only open one door at a time because it's not strong enough to hold the TV up without support. . . . and there's not enough room for all of the movies that we have, so there's a bookshelf next to it. It can't really stay there, because when winter comes we won't be able to turn on the fireplace. . . but that's a puzzle for another day. I combined the dining room with a play area. For the most part, it works. I'm missing my books, but that's a discussion for another day, too. In the old house, I had two book cases of my books - not counting the encyclopedia - and books just sitting everywhere, too. The boys had a bookcase downstairs, and a bookcase upstairs. Most of my books are now in boxes, with no place to go. One of the book cases died in transit. The boys' small one turned into the video shelving. And the other one of mine moved into the boys' room. I miss my books. Think I said that, but it's worth saying again because I love books and I love reading.

So the reason for writing this blog is that Heather recently posted about her desk. It was a blog inspired by another blogger. Whoa. I might have to slow down here. The first blog was about organization, and asked for photographs and descriptions of readers' desks. Heather photographed her computer area, desk, and bulletin board. Then she described the significance of the pictures/ posters, and the uses of all that stuff. I happen to like stuff. . . Office supplies, knicknacks, pictures. You should have seen my desk drawer / desktop at work on the ship!

Anyway, the post got me thinking. There's a little something I need. Not office supplies. I've got enough cool stuff to last a while. . . but there's something else missing.

What I am missing is a desk. Since I got an internet connection at home, it has become a need. I used to sit at the table with my computer and books. I did homework, research, and worked in my online class. But the internet signals that I got were unreliable, and I was always nervous. Once I even lost signal during a quiz! So I finally got internet here at home. . . But I am also tethered to the wall! I sit in my chair. . .a very comfy one, but still. No room on my lap for the computer and a book. . . and it's hard to take notes. . . I need a desk!

I've talked to my dad about it. Even looked at several desks. I don't want to spend a lot of money. He doesn't mind helping because he doesn't want me to get a cheap desk that will fall apart before I even graduate. Okay, I get it. Makes sense. . . So where do we get a not cheap, not expensive desk? One that looks nice. . . Has storage. . . A file drawer. . . and room to work. . . It's proving to be difficult. I don't want it to be too big, since it has to go in the living room. Yes. Not ideal, but my room is full. Okay, so right now it's full of crap, but we weren't going to talk about that. Even once things have been organized, donated, and put away, there's no room in there. All of the crap that is currently taking up space is in front of the closets. So there's nowhere in my bedroom for a desk. There is a large stretch of wall here in the living room that is empty. The desk either goes there, or my chair and end table (with lamp and phone) move down the wall, and the desk goes in the corner. Two choices. Great. Now all I need is the desk. Ugh.

I guess it doesn't help that I'm picky. The furniture in my house doesn't necessarily go together. But i have some nice pieces. I want my desk to look good, since it's going to be in the main room of the house. That means hidden storage. A drawer or cabinet is a must-have. I want a file drawer to go along with that, too. Did I mention that I don't want the desk to look like crap? Yeah, that's important. And do you know what? I can't find it! Seriously. Target and Walmart fail. Staples lost the "easy button". . . and Office Max and Office Depot. . . if it's inexpensive, it's crap, or useless. . . and if it's nice and functional, it's either over $250, or it's huge. . . or both!

Ugh. Well, for me, it's just about time to go. Have to put everything away - school books, binder, and stuff - before I bring the boys home. I don't think they really understand why I read these books, or what I'm doing on the computer. They only use computers for games, and don't understand email or homework. Oh, well. We'll get there. Maybe it will be easier to show them when I get a desk.

Someday.

2 comments:

  1. Have you tried IKEA? They have some great desks and are good with storage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not really a fan of IKEA... But I'll look into it. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete