Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day 2010

I'll blog about the day, and how great it was tomorrow . . . but for now, I'm thinking of something else.

Heather blogged today about her love of America and her dislike of "our song".  She thinks it's time to ditch the old Lee Greenwood "God Bless the USA" and get something new. 

I, on the other hand, love this song.  Come on . . . how could you not get chills?  Maybe over and over again, it can be a little much.  And perhaps it does something more for me because I was in the military.  I don't forget those who died.  And I would gladly stand up next to you (or for you, and you can sit down) and I would defend this country.  Over and over again.  I tried to get the full lyrics, but for some reason, none of the lyrics sites will let me highlight or copy.  Well, anyway.  You get the idea:    

And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I wont forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
And I gladly stand up,
next to you and defend her still today.
‘Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land,
God bless the USA.


Perhaps it is time for something new.  There is another patriotic song that I love.  Well, there are lots.  But one in particular that I've been hearing now and again lately. . .  It's "Some gave all"  Perhaps America isn't quite ready to embrace another country song by Billy Ray Cyrus.  I will say another singer could do it better. . . but it does have a message that hit me with chills the first time.  It's similar to that "all for one and one for all" three musketeers thing.  Anyway . . .      


Love your country and live with pride
And don't forget those who died. America can't you see. . .

All gave some and some gave all
And some stood true for the red, white and blue
And some had to fall

So if you ever think of me
Think of all your liberties and recall
Some gave all

There are so many more good ones, really.  I could get chills from most of them, in the right mood.  Even the National Anthem gets me.  I do get chills, especially after being on the Honor Guard on the ship.  Taps chokes me up, too.  On bugle or trumpet, it will get to me every time.  Once you've been a part of a burial at sea, or been in dress uniform and held a flag for the anthem, you'll never think of them quite the same way.

Okay, I'm about done reminiscing.  What's your favorite patriotic song?  Is there a memory with it?  Let me know.  Seriously, leave a comment and tell me. . . .  


And, in closing . . . Happy Memorial Day . . . to all Veterans, Active Duty, and to family members who have lost loved ones in service to our country.  None of you are forgotten.

4 comments:

  1. How about Toby Keith "Courtesy of the red, white & blue"? Yeah... My husbands a Marine. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "We'll put a boot in your a** - it's the American way"

    . . . Yeah, I know that song. It's a good one. But not quite a song for everyone. It's a little more aggressive than Lee Greenwood, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can much more relate to Lee Greenwood myself. Amazing the different prespective I have vs. one who was "in it" and cut off from the media prespecitve. "N" watches "9/11" documenteries with such facisanciation. I can't watch! It was a NIGHTMARE to watch live. Janice, You, and other verterans are HEROES, for sure. I hope you know that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janis, I love Lee Greenwood song "God Bless the USA" I to get chills everytime I hear it. I do think of our fallen heros. My first experience was losing our cousin Bobby in Vietnam, and then Cousin Michael 1983. I appreciate what all the Military Men and Women have done to keep America free. " God Bless the USA "

    ReplyDelete